Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mont-Saint-Michel


A picture post card of one of the most recognizable landmarks in Normandy......


Our actual view as we made our early morning "pilgrimage" toward the Mont Saint Michel Abbey.  
I was here 38 years ago with my Auburn roommate, Betinna, and her family.
 I remember how amazed I was ... a sight never forgotten! 
 We drove our Volkswagen Van across the causeway and parked at the base of village before making the winding climb to the top.  


The man-made causeway evidently caused the bay to "silt up" so construction is in progress to build a new bridge and a touristy shopping/parking/shuttle village has been built to handle the mass of visitors. 
I could not help but think how disappointed Betinna's family would be to see this. 


The Abbey is so beautiful....
the cloister so peaceful....



Definitely, still worth the trip! 












No comments: