Monday, December 5, 2011

Mistletoe in London

Nothing says "festive" like a Christmas street fair to kick off the holiday season! This one was Sunday afternoon on Elizabeth Street, just a couple of blocks from our flat near Victoria Station. The highlights of the day were Santa (so engaged!),Three Wise (Wo)Men with their camels,and the Elf and Fairy Princess Christmas Tree on stilts...interesting combination but the children loved them all!
There were also stalls filled with special gifts...sweets, knitted treats, baby Uggs, and the most popular of all, the mistletoe stall. I asked the fellow if he shot it out of the trees and he looked at me as if I were CRAZY. (I am used to that look by the way!) "You must be from Texas, we are not allowed to carry guns in this country", he says, "We have to climb up into the tree and cut it down." AND I will add, that is why he was selling it for £20 a branch! It's a lot easier to just shoot it out of the top of a tree, and NO, I'm not from Texas!
The best part for me is always the Hot mulled wine and listening to the choirs sing all my favorite Christmas carols...especially the children's choirs.

3 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I hope you did a little christmas shopping... that green knitted scarf was beautiful!
I would also like a christmas tree skirt...

I know all about shooting mistletoe out of the tree. In fact there is some in my neighborhood ~ how long would it take for the police to arrive?
And we aren't even from Texas :-)

Gail Hecko said...

I thought the same thing about the green scarf! "Looks like Sandi to me!"

No mistletoe in my neighborhood that I can see....

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Love all the festive street festivals! That's some pretty steep mistletoe!!!

Can't wait to share this with Mike!