Sunday, January 30, 2011

The BLUES of Provence



Typically, January is not the best time to tour Provence....where were the blue strides of Lavender fields banked by the tall green Cyprus trees? But actually, I think it is precisely the reason for my obsession with the blues of Provence. The softness of the shutters and doors on the limestone buildings were such a contrast to the blog I wrote last June on the Blues of St. Petersburg. http://holledayz.blogspot.com/2010/06/st-petersburgs-blue.html

The colors inspired Vincent van Gogh in this famous painting of gardens in the historical town of Arles.



















Although we had to imagine what the tree-lined shaded streets looked like in the Spring, we did not stand in line for anything and we saw only a few tour buses along our route. The weather was cold and crisp ...... just like a glass of French Rose'!




2 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Beautiful colors... I love the softness of the blue. You will always think of Provence when you see it!

A Tale of Two Cities said...

I enjoyed focusing on the blues on our trip after you pointed it out. You are right--it was everywhere, and in the past, I've always thought of bright yellows when I've recalled Provence, but now my horizons have been expanded. It was great fun, wasn't it?

Debi