Thursday, October 29, 2009

When history reads like a novel...






Alison Weir is one of my favorite authors and she was our guest speaker at the AWC meeting this month. She is best known for her richly researched and impressively detailed novels of the Tudor period of history including two best selling novels, Innocent Traitor and The Lady Elizabeth, but my personal favorite is Mary, Queen of Scots. Her new book, The Lady in the Tower is about the imprisonment and execution of Queen Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII's second wife.....unprecedented in English history. She engaged us with her storytelling, signed books, and then, over lunch, graciously answered every question we could throw at her. It is her opinion that the present Queen, Elizabeth II, is not going anywhere and that Charles will be the oldest King in history to take the crown.
Before I left the States I also downloaded The White Queen by Philippa Gregory on my Amazon Kindle.....I just love it when history reads like a novel!!!





1 comment:

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Thanks so much for a peek into the meeting yesterday and a photo of Allison Weir. Love her books! Missing all of my London friends....
Debi