Friday, September 25, 2009

A Salute to British Veterans







Over the centuries The Royal Hospital Chelsea - not far from where I live- has served as a retirement community for thousands of retired soldiers, this year even allowing a few women to join. In-Pensioners gather for meals, worship, and most of all companionship in their recognizable RED jackets looking very dapper if I must say so myself! Our guide for the tour was a charming chap. He captivated us with his entertaining stories and honestly, at one point I was crying from laughter. I'll tell you about the "multiplying scooters and their reckless drivers" one day.







And, as usual, we end our exhausting tour at a nearby pub....lunch anyone?


2 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I think I could cozy away at that hostital for a week or so. I'll come out to the garden for tea and pimms!

A Tale of Two Cities said...

This is another event I really hated to miss. You know I live so close to the Hospital that I am always walking by and getting peeks of the pensioners in their daily routines. I loved the little museum there and the chap that shared his story with us one Sunday afternoon. Thanks for posting....

Debi